Relationships are much like Gardens.
The foundation - The Soil
Self / Other Person - The Seeds
If you don't nurture the foundation (soil) with protection, love, water, nutrition (healthy pouring into each other) - then the Seed (YOU/Other Person) will not be provided what it needs to grow / evolve to be strong and healthy.
If a weed (negative thinking, obstacles) grows, don't abandon the garden - locate it, pull it out.
Don't get overwhelmed! Pick one thing a week to focus on to nurture the foundation - and do it. No matter what!
The next week, add a little more and watch the "garden not only grow but flourish"
Here are some examples of how to pour into the foundation.
1. Pray together 1X a day
2. Do something at least 1X a day NICE, without expectation "Act of Kindness"
3. Ask a "real" question about him/her to really get to know the person's needs and desires .....and truly LISTEN to the answer.
4. Spend time doing what he/she loves
5. Write a Love Letter, Send a Note (not a text) ...mail it or leave it someplace "special and unexpected"
6. Compliments Go a Long Way
7. Read to him/her at night before bed (very intimate)
8. Work on things that make YOU a better person (forgiving, communication, learn to apologize...etc
Become the Gardener of you own life and pay attention to what blooms.